Tuesday, October 12, 2010

As an illegal immigrant, how would I view immigration across the Texas-Mexico border??

I know this may sound basic, but I am going to talk about how an illegal immigrant would view this whole process. There are two main reasons why Mexicans want to come to America.

1) Because the United States is so close to Mexico, many people want to see what America is like AND
2) There is a major difference between the standard of living between the two countries. A low paying job in America could be ten times better than a job in Mexico. People are drawn to the possibility of making a decent living for themselves in America.

The average Mexican makes $4.15 per hour and those who work in agriculture make even less money. I had no idea that about 40% of Mexicans are below the poverty line!!!! Yes, 4 in 10 people are poor. That definitely puts my life as an American into perspective. 40% that is an incredibly high number. Even though many have jobs, the wages do not normally cover the necessities of life. The lifestyle that Americans lead gives many Mexicans hope that they could one day better provide for their families. Basically, money is the main draw for wanting to immigrate. US Immigration Support

So...because Mexicans are so determined to come to the United States, many do not go through with the correct documentation to become a citizen. Many are smuggled and cross the Texas or Arizona border. These smugglers are called "coyotes" and they get paid to cross the border with immigrants. U.S. Border Patrol fines "coyotes" if they are caught and then they are sent back to Mexico. The problem is that many cannot be recognized and therefore immigrants continue to enter illegally year after year. In 2002, Senator McCain proclaimed that "about 4 million people crossed our borders illegally." American Resistance 4 million?! That is a huge number! It amazes me that the United States can win in battle against foreign countries, but we cannot develop a way to keep illegal immigrants out. In an effort to stop this, more checkpoints have been added near California, Texas, and Arizona requiring people to show their documentation and identification before crossing the border. The checkpoints have helped some, but not enough to make the issue obsolete.

Once inside the country, illegal immigrants tend to have two goals.

1) To send money back to their families AND
2) To bring the rest of their family to America.

I would have the exact same ideas if I was a poor young woman living in Mexico City. I would want to be able to provide for my family and my children. If coming into America with a "coyote" was the only option I think I would take him up on that offer. Knowing that I could get a higher paying job somewhere else, I would most certainly make the move, even if I was violating the law. Would you?

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree with your interpretation of the process. Many Mexicans come to America for higher paying jobs and a better way of life. If I was poor women in Mexico with a family and I knew of a way to make more money, I would do it. However, it is not just one or two illegal immigrants that enter the United States, its four million. That is a ridiculously large number and a problem for the United States. I like the point that you brought up about how the US can fight wars in other countries, but we cannot come up with a plan for illegal immigration. If this pattern continues, there will be more illegal immigrants than actually Americans. This is a serious problem, and there needs to be some sort to action or plan to address this problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see your point and I'll be honest when I say that i haven't really thought about it like that before. To answer your question, yes I probably would. But I would most likely do it the legal way. Even though gaining citizenship takes a long time, it would give me peace of mind knowing that once I am in the country, that I never have to go back to Mexico. We as Americans should speed up the process of letting immigrants gain citizenship, but at the same time be more selective of the people we let in. I would definitely make an attempt to get to America, I just think that doing it legally presents more concrete results then crossing illegally.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know this is harsh, and living in Mexico is not a pleasant thing to do, but illegal is illegal and thats that. if i was Hispanic i would be trying to correct the 40% in my own country instead of fleeing to another. I can see your point of them wanting to provide for their family and needing money at a quicker rate, but immigration is not the only answer. 4 million people is too much and just creating checkpoints is not enough to stop the issue, as a country we are struggling as it is, immigration is not helping with this issue. it will be interesting to see what happens in the future.

    ReplyDelete